Residence Permit at the Office for Foreigners

Aufenthaltsgenehmigung beim Ausländeramt 

Once you have registered and have confirmation of being accepted into the social sciences programme at the University of Düsseldorf, you will need to get a residence permit. You will need to make an appointment at the office for foreigners (available in German only) (LINK). 
The Ausländeramt also offers an external service for students at the University of Düsseldorf. Visit the link above for more details. 
In order to get a residence permit, you will need to provide the following documents: 

  • The completed application form for a residence permit (Antrag auf Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) 
  • Passport 
  • Two passport-sized photos 
  • Proof of housing registration (Anmeldebestätigung) 
  • Proof of your acceptance to the programme (letter from Social Sciences Institute or Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) 

As a general rule for any bureaucratic procedures, it is good to bring more information with you rather than discovering that you are missing an important document.