Prof. Dr. Dieter Stein
E-Mail: stein (at) phil.hhu.de
stein (at) mpdl.mpg.de
- Emeritus professor English Dept., Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf, Germany
- Max-Planck-Society, Max Planck Digital Library, München, Germany
Phone: +49 211 81-12963
Fax: +49 211 81-15292
- A native of the Saarland/Germany
- Degrees ("Staatsexamen") in English and Geography, University of Saarbrücken (1972)
- Doctorate in English Linguistics at University of Saarbrücken (1975)
- Habilitation at Technische Universität Aachen (1982)
- Research Position in Sonderforschungsbereich 100 funded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) "Elektronische Sprachforschung" (1972 - 1975)
- Lecturer in Applied Linguistics at Department of Translation and Interpretation. University of Heidelberg (1975-1982)
- Professor for English Language and Linguistics (Discourse Analysis and Pragmatics) at Justus-Liebig-University of Gießen (1982 - 1990)
- Professor for English Language and Linguistics at Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf (1990)
Several terms as Chairman and Dean
Former president International Society for Historical Linguistics
President International Language and Law Society
- Dept. of Linguistics, University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA)
- Dept. of Linguistics, University of California at Berkeley
- Dept. of English, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- Dept. of Linguistics, Stanford University
Current Research Interests
- Language and Law
- Language development
- Syntactic variation and meaning
- Language and Communication in the Internet
- Linguistics of Hypertext
- Founding editor and member of the editorial board of "Language@Internet"
- Editor-in-chief of the Linguistic Society of America's digital publication portal "eLanguage"
- Member Editorial Board "Max Planck Research Library for the History and Development of Knowledge". Ed. J. Renn, R. Schlögl, B.F. Schutz
- Advisory board '"Language Science Press"
- Universities of Naples (European Masters Program)
- Milwaukee (Department Linguistics)
- Madison (Department of English and Linguistics)
- UBC Vancouver (English Department)
- Alicante (English Department)
Conferences organized (selection)
Organization of a number of international conferences, including the 13th International Conference on Historical Linguistics (Düsseldorf, 1997), the Colloquium on "Subjectivity and Subjectivisation in Language" (St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, UK, 1992), Colloquium on "Syntax and Varieties: the Syntax of Dialects and Standard Languages" (Düsseldorf, 1995), Joint Linguistic Summer School by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft and the Linguistic Society of America at Düsseldorf on "Formal and Functional Linguistics" (2002), International Conference on Language and Law, together with UCLA and Duesseldorf University Law Schools (2006) at Düsseldorf. Berlin 6 Open Access conference (2008). Annual Meeting Linguistic Society of America, Baltimore 6 - 9 Januar 2011, Symposium on "Electronic Publishing in Linguistics: Challenges and Opportunities"
- In preparation: with Janet Giltrow, English Dept. UBC Vancouver, BC, Canada „The pragmatic turn. Interpretation and inference in legal discourse.” July 2014
Books > click here for pdf.
Articles > click here for pdf.
Feline wellness: The cat on the cold stone table. Tomcat Willy, the sixth family member.